Monday, March 19, 2007

Global Warming: Crisis or Not?

Dear People of the World:
The subject of global warming or climate change is of great interest to me. Weather affects everyone and we are constantly aware of its influence on our lives. In the past few years the notion of a great global warming causing extreme weather is becoming increasingly popular. I think hurricane Katrina and the flooding of New Orleans is the trigger that brought the concept of climate change to the forefront of our attention.

Extreme weather is both tragic, fascinating, and certainly dramatic. The weather rarely bothers me; what bothers me is the theory that global warming is caused by human activity, primarily the burning of fossil fuels like oil, gas, and coal. If we are causing global warming, then we can fix it, right?

Ah, you say, but who is going to save us from this great calamity of global warming? Our politicians will, of course. So now we have politicized climate science and made it a subject of emotional, almost hysterical debate. It is not science any more; it is a belief, your side or mine. People, wake up! Billions and billions of dollars, your dollars, your tax money is being spent on something that probably does not exist and is something we can not change in any case.

I'm a retired Earth Scientist and as they say, "I've been around the block a few times." I'd like to shed some calm, rational light on the subject of global warming. I'd like to help educate people, answer questions, reduce the fear, hysteria, and basically cut through all the hype. I believe this is one of the most critical issues of our time.

So with that preface, I'd like to invite commentary on this subject, and I ecourage input from everyone, scientists and all others. Let's just try to keep it civil. A bit of humor or political bias is probably inevitable, so let's have some fun.
Peter

3 comments:

Phillipkw said...

You are really wacko dude, where do you get your information?

Peter said...

I've learned everything I know from my little brother....

my2cents said...

In Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, he says 'small changes to your daily routine can add up to a big difference in helping to stop global warming.' What he doesn't say is that changes in governmental policy are now underway that could potentially cost billions of dollars and dramatically change our way of life.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if it does need repair, we should seek out the best technicians who will employ the right tools to get the job done. Afterall, we're the ones who'll get stuck with the repair bill.